Thousands shipped since 1992 - 800.793.8555

Call: +1 800-793-8555
Intl: +1 719-268-1325
Email:[email protected]



TextGable – The end of a building as distinguished from the front or rear side. The triangular end of an exterior wall from the level of the eaves to the ridge of a double-sloped roof. In house construction, the portion of the roof above the eave line of a double-sloped roof.
Gable End – An end wall having a gable.
Gambrel Roof – A type of roof which has its slope broken by an obtuse angle, so that the lower slope is steeper than the upper slope. A double sloped roof having two pitches.
Galvanize – To coat a metal with zinc by dipping it in molten zinc after cleaning.
Gaskets – pre-formed shapes, such as strips, grommets, etc., of rubber or rubber-like composition, used to fill and seal a joint or opening either alone or in conjunction with a supplemental application of a sealant.
Gauge – The thickness of sheet metal and wire, etc.
Gauge Board – (Spot Board) Board used to carry grout needed to patch small jobs.
General Contractor – (or Prime Contractor) A contractor responsible for all facets of construction of a building or renovation.
GFI or GFCI – Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters – Special devices capable of opening a circuit when even a small amount of current is flowing through the grounding system.
GFRC – Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete; Material used in wall systems that resembles but generally does not perform as well as concrete. Usually a thin cementitious material laminated to plywood or other lightweight backing.
Gloss Enamel – A finishing material made of varnish and sufficient pigments to provide opacity and color, but little or no pigment of low opacity. Such an enamel forms a hard coating with maximum smoothness of surface and a high degree of gloss
Gloss (paint or enamel) – A paint or enamel that contains a relatively low proportion of pigment and dries to a sheen or luster.
Girder – A main beam upon which floor joists rest used to support concentrated loads at isolated points along its length, usually made of steel or wood.
Glass – A hard, brittle substance, usually transparent, made by fusing silicates under high temperatures with soda, lime, etc.
Glaze Coat – In roofing, a light, uniform mopping of bitumen on exposed felts to protect them from the weather, pending completion of the job.
Glazing – (n) A generic term used to describe an infill material such as glass, panels, etc. (v) the process of installing an infill material into a prepared opening in windows, door panels, partitions, etc.
Glazing Bead – In glazing, a strip surrounding the edge of the glass in a window or door which holds the glass in place.
Glazing Channel – In glazing, a three-sided, U-shaped sash detail into which a glass product is installed and retained.
Grade MW – Moderate Weather grade of brick for moderate resistance to freezing used, for example, in planters.
Grade NW – No Weather brick intended for use as a back-up or interior masonry.
Grade SW – Severe Weather grade of brick intended for use where high resistance to freezing is desired.
Grain – The direction, size, arrangement, appearance, or quality of the fibers in wood.
Granules – The mineral particles of a graded size which are embedded in the asphalt coating of shingles and roofing.
Gravel – Loose fragments of rock used for surfacing built-up roofs, in sizes varying from 1/8″ to 1 3/4″.
Grounds – Guides used around openings and at the floorline to strike off plaster. They can consist of narrow strips of wood or of wide sub-jambs at interior doorways. They provide a level plaster line for installation of casing and other trim.
Ground System – The connection of current-carrying neutral wire to the grounding terminal in the main switch which in turn is connected to a water pipe. The neutral wire is called the ground wire.
Grounding Rod – Rod used to ground an electrical panel.
Grout or Grouting – A cement mortar mixture made of such consistency (by adding water) that it will just flow into joints and cavities of masonry work to fill them solid.
Gun Consistency – Sealant formulated in a degree of viscosity suitable for application through the nozzle of a caulking gun.
Gunite – A construction material composed of cement, sand or crushed slag and water mixed together and forced through a cement gun by pneumatic pressure, used in the construction of swimming pools.
Gutter – Metal or wood trough at the eaves of a roof to carry rain water from the roof to the downspout.
Gutter Strap – Metal bands used to support the gutter.
Gusset – A flat wood, plywood, or similar type member used to provide a connection at intersection of wood members. Most commonly used at joints of wood trusses. They are fastened by nails, screws, bolts, or adhesives.
Guy Wire – A strong steel wire or cable strung from an anchor on the roof to any tall slender projection for the purpose of support.
Gypsum Plaster – Gypsum formulated to be used with the addition of sand and water for base- coat plaster.
Gypsum Board – See Drywall
Gypsum Keene Cement – Material used to obtain a smooth finish coat of plaster, for use over gypsum plastic base coats only and in areas not subject to moisture. It is the hardest plaster.