Thousands shipped since 1992 - 800.793.8555

Call: +1 800-793-8555
Intl: +1 719-268-1325
Email:[email protected]


What kind of insulation should you use for metal homes

The short answer is: it depends. Before you decide on what kind of insulation you should use for metal homes, be aware of your surroundings. Where you plan to build is the first thing to consider. What’s a cold day for you, what’s the winter weather like? and what’s a hot day for you? You need to think about insulation in terms of keeping in the cool during summer as much as keeping in the heat during the winter.

You will also need to research building codes where you plan to build for any guidelines or requirements you will have to follow to obtain a building permit. Once you have that firmly in your mind, you can look at the different insulation options. When you do that, you’ll see (if you didn’t already know!) that insulation is graded by the R-Value or Thermal Resistance per Unit Area. Generally, you don’t want to go with less than R-19 insulation for the walls or R-25 for the roof. But again, take into consideration your own needs and comfort, as well as local building codes.

Foam Insulation

One question you may have is whether or not you should use foam insulation. It seems like an easy decision to make, but keep in mind that while you want your home to be insulated from the weather, that different kind of insulation has different pros and cons. You want to reduce the condensation to 30 or 40 percent, but you have to take other things into consideration, including air circulation and ventilation. Foam is good for filling in the nooks and crannies, but it’s messy for future renovations and can sometimes lock moisture in when a little airflow would actually be a good thing. When we work with you to develop your custom-designed metal home buildings, we can help you decide if foam or rigid board is the best way to go… not only for your needs but for your budget.

error: Content is protected !!